4. RESEARCH STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP
Student Scholarships offer college graduates and
graduate students the opportunity to study and
research a specific field at a Japanese university.
FIELDS OF STUDY:
- Fields of study must be subjects which applicants will be able to study and research at Japanese universities.
- A student who majors in medicine, dentistry or welfare science will not be allowed to engage in clinical training such as medical care and operative surgery until he/she obtains a permit from the Minister of Health, Labour and Welfare under applicable Japanese laws.
- Majors in traditional entertainment such as Kabuki and classical Japanese dances, or in subjects that seek practical training in specific technologies or techniques at factories or companies are excluded.
QUALIFICATIONS: (for 2017 Scholarship)
- AGE: Applicants must have been born on or after April 2,1982.
- ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must be
university or college graduates and have completed
at least 16 years of formal education.
- LANGUAGE: Applicants must be willing to
learn Japanese and receive instruction in
Japanese. For those studying in certain fields,
Japanese language ability may be required.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 3, 2016
EXAMINATION AND INTERVIEW:
conducted at the Consulate General of Japan in New York from June 16-17, 2016.
ARRIVAL IN JAPAN:
Early April or early
- ALLOWANCE: Under the fiscal 2016 budget, each grantee will be provided monthly with 143,000 yen (Research Student course,) 144,000 yen (students enrolled in a Master’s program or a professional degree program,) or 145,000 yen (students enrolled in a doctoral program.)
- TERM: Two years from April 2017 or one-and-a-half years from October 2017.
- TRANSPORTATION: Grantees will be supplied
with an economy-class air ticket to and from
- SCHOOL FEES: Entrance examination, matriculation
and tuition fees at universities will be exempted.
- ACCOMMODATIONS: Grantees may reside at foreign
student houses or residence halls of national
universities. Those who are not able to find
university housing will be required to live
in private housing.
- MEDICAL TREATMENT: Students may receive
subvention for part of the medical expenses in
- The specific award amounts of each scholarship listed above are
current as of April 2016. These details are subject
- Although applicants may request a specific
host institution in any of the above scholarships,
official host institution assignments are
made by the Ministry of Education, Culture,
Sport, Science & Technology. The Ministry's
decision in this regard will be considered
- For inquiries, please feel free to contact the
Japan Information Center at (212) 418-4452 or
send an e-mail.