2015 Consul General's Commendation
The Consulate General of Japan in New York will honor the Japanese Association of Greater Philadelphia with the Consul General Commendation for making remarkable contributions to Japan and Japanese communities in the U.S.
The Japanese Association of Greater Philadelphia
President, Mr. Patrick Dailey
The Japanese Association of Greater Philadelphia (JAGP) is a non-profit organization which has been serving the Japanese community in the Greater Philadelphia region since 1964. The JAGP celebrates its 50th anniversary this year.
- to promote friendship amongst the Japanese residing in the region
- to provide information and counseling to Japanese newcomers to the region
- to support and help Japanese students studying in the region
- to provide continued care to the aged Japanese living alone in the region
- to hold programs and activities for the purpose of promoting the understanding
of Japanese culture as well as American culture
- to promote exchanges between Japanese and American residents through cultural
and educational programs
- to provide support for the visiting consular services of the Consulate General of Japan
from New York
(1) The JAGP, since its establishment fifty years ago, has made remarkable contributions to the mutual understanding between Japan and the United States by providing various bicultural programs, support for Japanese elderly, and students who are studying abroad, various events such as their New Year's Party and Essay Contest which have served the Japanese Community in the Philadelphia area.
(2) In addition, after a building collapse in Philadelphia in 2013, the JAGP confirmed the safety of Japanese citizens and supported Japanese residents and tourists in the Philadelphia area, cooperating closely with the Consulate General of Japan in New York.
(3) The JAGP has also contributed vital assistance in the fields of public information, procedure guidance and preparations for the one-day of consular services which the Consulate provides each spring and autumn to Japanese residents in Philadelphia.