Visas for Work & Long Term Stay


Please be aware that we will decline applications that have incomplete documentation.

Each applicant must submit the following documents:

  • An application form completed and signed. Blank forms are available at Japanese consular offices. You can also download by clicking on visa application form ( Sample ). Chinese and Korean citizens must write their names in Chinese characters as well as in Roman letters. Please include your e-mail address and contact phone information.

    An applicant with an arrest or criminal record must provide a copy of his/her court and/or arrest record (including cases that ended with an acquittal or pardon), along with an English translation of those documents if they are in any language other than English. Even if the case did not go to trial, please provide a letter that explains in detail the circumstances surrounding the arrest. We would like to know about the charges, time served, fees paid, and probation (if any).
  • Valid passport with ( original plus one photo copy ) sufficient space for a visa (This means at least one empty, blank visa page. US passports use the rear pages for amendments, and are not acceptable as blank visa pages). If you already have a valid Japanese visa in your passport, please include a signed consent form as shown in the sample at this link: If, instead of a national passport, you submit a PERMIT TO REENTER THE UNITED STATES, or a REFUGEE TRAVEL DOCUMENT issued by the U.S. government, it must have a validity date at least six months beyond the date of visa application.
  • A passport-sized photograph: 2-inch x 1.4-inch photograph on glossy photo paper taken within the last six months with plain background.
    Photograph may be attached to the application form with glue (not tape or staples) or you may submit the photograph unattached.
  • For Non-U.S. citizens, Green Card or valid I-94, and U.S. resident visa (F or J visa holder must bring an I-20 or DS-2019 plus one copy).
    We ask that all applicants submit their original immigration documents (green card, I-20, etc.) or a NOTARIZED copy of the documents.
  • *Certificate of Eligibility, original and one photocopy

Note: Applicant for "Dependent Status", if the primary person already resides in Japan, please submit two copies of the primary person's Resident Card and two copies of passport; include page with visas and immigration stamps.

What is a Certificate of Eligibility?
A Certificate of Eligibility is issued before a visa application by a regional immigration authority under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Justice as evidence that the foreign national meets the conditions for landing in Japan, including the requirements that the activity in which the foreign national wishes to engage in Japan at the time of the landing examination is not fraudulent and is an activity that comes under a status of residence (excluding Temporary Visitor Status) stipulated in the Immigration Control Act. (Application by a proxy in Japan is allowed. For details go to the Ministry of Justice, Immigration Service Agency. )
A foreign national in possession of a Certificate of Eligibility can get a visa issued more easily at an embassy or consulate within the standard processing period (five working days). (However, issuance of the visa is not guaranteed.) Furthermore, there is the advantage that if the certificate is shown to the immigration officer at the time of the landing application the foreign national can more easily demonstrate that their status of residence conforms to the conditions for landing in Japan such as control, etc.

Visa Fees
Visa fees are determined according to reciprocal arrangements between Japan and the country of the applicant's nationality. Please check the page of Visa Fees.

Processing Time
Please refer to our introduction page.

Applications by mail
Please refer to our introduction page.