RESEARCH STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP
Research Student Scholarships offer college graduates and graduate students the opportunity to study and research a specific field at a Japanese university. To apply, applicants must :
Hold U.S. citizenship
Be born on or after April 2, 1986
Satisfy the qualification requirements for admission to a master's degree course or a doctoral degree course at a Japanese graduate school (Includes applicants who are certainly expected to satisfy the requirements by the time of enrollment)
Students must satisfy ANY one of the following eligibility criteria.
- Master's program / Doctoral program (first phase)
- Japanese university graduates.
- Students that have been conferred their bachelor's degree through the National Institution for Academic Degrees and Quality Enhancement of Higher Education (NIAD-QE).
- Students who have completed 16 years of school education in countries other than Japan.
- Students who have completed a program with the standard study period of three years or more at universities or equivalent educational institutions in countries other than Japan and received a degree equivalent to a bachelor's degree.
- Students who have completed 16 years of education at education institutions in Japan recognized as having overseas undergraduate programs.
- Students who have completed designated professional training college courses.
- Students recognized as having academic abilities equivalent to or better than university graduates in an individual entrance qualification examination conducted by a graduate school, and who have reached 22 years of age.
- Doctoral program (second phase)
- Students with a Japanese master's degree or students with a Japanese professional degree.
- Students who have been awarded with an overseas degree equivalent to a master's degree or professional degree.
- Students who have completed graduate programs at education institutions in Japan recognized as having overseas graduate programs and who have obtained a degree equivalent to a master's degree or professional degree.
- Students who have graduated from universities and have been involved in research study at universities or research centers (including overseas universities and research centers) for two years or more, and recognized as having academic competency equivalent to persons with a master's degree by the graduate school.
- Students recognized as having academic abilities equivalent to or better than master's degree or professional degree holders in an individual entrance qualification examination conducted by the graduate school, and who have reached 24 years of age.
Doctoral program (faculties of medicine, dentistry, veterinary sciences and certain pharmaceutical programs)
If you apply to a program in medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine or certain pharmaceutical sciences, you are required to confirm directly with the school of your choice before applying.
Be willing to learn Japanese. Applicants must be interested in Japan and be willing to deepen their understanding of Japan after arriving in Japan. Applicants must also have the ability to do research and adapt to living in Japan
This year, the MEXT Research Scholarship will only offer the October term for arrival in Japan. The arrival date specified by the accepting university during the period within two weeks before the starting date of the relevant academic term (September or October) for that year set by the accepting university.
FIELDS OF STUDY
Applicants should apply for the field of study they majored in at university or its related field. Moreover, the fields of study must be subjects which applicants will be able to study and research in graduate courses at Japanese universities.
Traditional entertainment arts such as Kabuki and classical Japanese dances, or subjects that require practical training in specific technologies or techniques at factories or companies are not included in the fields of study under this scholarship program. A student who studies medicine, dentistry or welfare science will not be allowed to engage in clinical training such as medical care and operative surgery until he/she obtains a relevant license from the Minister of Health, Labor and Welfare under applicable Japanese laws.
All applications must be received at our office below by Friday, August 21st, 2020 - Due to COVID19 - the MEXT Scholarship will only accept applications by mail.
Attn: MEXT Scholarship Program
Consulate General of Japan in New York
299 Park Ave, 19th Floor
New York, NY 10171
* We suggest mailing documents with a tracking number.
Interview & Test Date
October 1st - October 6th, 2020 (Tentative)
Guidelines & Application Forms
To download application forms and instructions for applying, please visit the "Study in Japan: A Comprehensive Guide" website.
Study in Japan: A Comprehensive Guide Website
* Due to COVID19/Coronavirus, the MEXT scholarship application process may be altered or abruptly cancelled. We apologize for any inconvenience or disappointment subsequent changes may cause and thank you for your patience in these uncertain times.
For inquiries, please feel free to contact the Japan Information Center at (212) 418-4463 or send an e-mail. (Click here)
Phone inquiries will be answered Monday - Friday 9:15AM - 5:45PM, except on holidays. If the MEXT coordinator is not reached after the first call, please try again later.