RESEARCH STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP
Research Student Scholarships offer college graduates and graduate students the opportunity to study and research a specific field at a Japanese university. To apply, applicants must :
Hold U.S. citizenship
Be born on or after April 2, 1989.
Satisfy the qualification requirements for admission to a master's degree course or a doctoral degree course at a Japanese graduate school (Includes applicants who are certainly expected to satisfy the requirements by the time of enrollment)
Students must satisfy ANY one of the following eligibility criteria.
- Master's program / Doctoral program (first phase)
- Japanese university graduates.
- Students that have been conferred their bachelor's degree through the National Institution for Academic Degrees and Quality Enhancement of Higher Education (NIAD-QE).
- Students who have completed 16 years of school education in countries other than Japan.
- Students who have completed a program with the standard study period of three years or more at universities or equivalent educational institutions in countries other than Japan and received a degree equivalent to a bachelor's degree.
- Students who have completed 16 years of education at education institutions in Japan recognized as having overseas undergraduate programs.
- Students who have completed designated professional training college courses.
- Students recognized as having academic abilities equivalent to or better than university graduates in an individual entrance qualification examination conducted by a graduate school, and who have reached 22 years of age.
- Doctoral program (second phase)
- Students with a Japanese master's degree or students with a Japanese professional degree.
- Students who have been awarded with an overseas degree equivalent to a master's degree or professional degree.
- Students who have completed graduate programs at education institutions in Japan recognized as having overseas graduate programs and who have obtained a degree equivalent to a master's degree or professional degree.
- Students who have graduated from universities and have been involved in research study at universities or research centers (including overseas universities and research centers) for two years or more, and recognized as having academic competency equivalent to persons with a master's degree by the graduate school.
- Students recognized as having academic abilities equivalent to or better than master's degree or professional degree holders in an individual entrance qualification examination conducted by the graduate school, and who have reached 24 years of age.
Doctoral program (faculties of medicine, dentistry, veterinary sciences and certain pharmaceutical programs)
If you apply to a program in medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine or certain pharmaceutical sciences, you are required to confirm directly with the school of your choice before applying.
Be willing to learn Japanese. Applicants must be interested in Japan and be willing to deepen their understanding of Japan after arriving in Japan. Applicants must also have the ability to do research and adapt to living in Japan
When selecting an April state date, applicants must be able to arrive in Japan between April 1, 2024 and April 7, 2024. For October selection, applicants must be able to arrive in Japan during the period specified by the accepting university within two weeks before and after the starting date of the university's relevant academic term (September or October) for that year.
FIELDS OF STUDY
Applicants should apply for the field of study they majored in at university or its related field. Moreover, the fields of study must be subjects which applicants will be able to study and research in graduate courses at Japanese universities.
Traditional entertainment arts such as Kabuki and classical Japanese dances, or subjects that require practical training in specific technologies or techniques at factories or companies are not included in the fields of study under this scholarship program. A student who studies medicine, dentistry or welfare science will not be allowed to engage in clinical training such as medical care and operative surgery until he/she obtains a relevant license from the Minister of Health, Labor and Welfare under applicable Japanese laws.
Deadline: Monday, June 5th, 2023 @ 5 PM
All applications must arrive by mail at the address listed below, or delivered in person to the Japan Information Center. For in-person submission, please email email@example.com to schedule an appointment with the MEXT Scholarship Coordinator.
Attn: MEXT Scholarship Program
Consulate General of Japan in New York
299 Park Ave, 18th Floor
New York, NY 10171
* We suggest mailing documents with a tracking number.
** This is not a "post-marked" by deadline. Late applications will not be considered.
Interview & Test Dates
Written Exam: Friday, June 30, 2023 (in-person)
Interview: Monday, June 26 & Wednesday, June 28 (online) (tentative)
To download application forms and guidelines for applying, please visit the "Study in Japan: A Comprehensive Guide" website. All applicants must read the Scholarship Guidelines thoroughly before applying.
Study in Japan: A Comprehensive Guide Website
For inquiries, call the Japan Information Center at (212) 418-4463, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone inquiries will be answered Mon-Fri 9:15 AM - 5:45 PM, except on holidays.