General Information

Each year, the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sport, Science and Technology (Monbukagakusho) offers scholarships to international students, providing hundreds with the opportunity to live and study in Japan. Information on these scholarships is included below, and we encourage you to take advantage of these unique opportunities to learn more about Japan, its people and its culture. Please note that the Consulate General of Japan in New York can accept scholarship applications from US citizens who live, study, work or maintain a home address in Connecticut (Fairfield County only), Delaware, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands. If you currently reside outside of these area, please check the Jurisdictional Map to see your nearest Consulate General of Japan. Please keep in mind that you may submit your application to only ONE location which will be the site of your interview should you be selected from the initial round of applicants.


Japanese Studies Scholarships are for undergraduate students who wish to pursue Japan-related studies. This program offers students an opportunity to study Japanese language and culture for one year in Japan.


Research Student Scholarships offer college graduates and graduate students the opportunity to study and research a specific field at a Japanese university.


Specialized Training College Scholarships offer high school graduates the opportunity to receive professional training in Japan in a variety of vocations.


Undergraduate Student Scholarships are for high school graduates who wish to study at a Japanese university. One year Japanese language program at a Japanese language school prior to attending a Japanese university as an undergraduate student is included.

Please note that each scholarship has its own individual guidelines and qualifications. Please read everything carefully. Applicants must apply through a Japanese Embassy or a Consulate in the country where they hold citizenship. The Consulate in New York has scholarship information applicable to U.S. citizens ONLY.

Feel free to contact the MEXT Scholarship office at the Consulate General of Japan in New York at 212-418-4463 if you have additional questions about the qualifications for a particular scholarship. If you are not eligible to apply for a Monbukagakusho award, visit the web site of Japan Student Services Organization. This organization is an invaluable resource for international students who would like to study in Japan.